LLA: 09° 49.209N; 123° 26.541E
Height: 1013 MASL (Meters Above Sea Level)
Entry point: Mantalongon Market, Dalaguete, Cebu
Days required / Trek time: 1-2 days / 1-2 hours (summit)
Specs: Minor Climb, Difficulty 3/9, Trail Class 1-2
|Osmena Peak from afar|
- Osmena Peak was named in honor of the famous political Clan in Cebu.
- The mountain summit offers a magnificent view of multiple jagged hills (Mantalongon range) that resemble the beautiful chocolate hills of Bohol. From the summit you can also see the stunning 360-degree view of shorelines, the island of Badian, the lush farms of vegetables, and a glimpse of Bohol and Negros.
- The jagged hills are situated near each other and are majestically formed from rocks.
- Farming is the primary source of income in the area and this is very evident while you are trekking up to the mountain. Trails are combination of wide plantation to thinly forested area.
How to Get to Osmena Peak
- From Cebu City, take the South Cebu National Highway until you reach the town of Carcar.
- Continue driving southeast and take the left road until you reach the town of Dalaguete. You will pass by the town of Sibunga.
- After crossing a bridge, you will see a junction in Dalaguete populated with bakeries and habal-habals, take the left turn that leads to Mantalongan Market. The right road leads to the southwestern towns of Cebu such as Barili, Dumanjug, Moalboal, Badian, and others. Be informed that the road leading to Mantalongan market is winding, rough, and uneven; consider the kind of vehicle you are bringing.
- From Mantalongon, you may start the roughly 2-hour trek up to the summit of Osmena. If your vehicle can manage the rough roads that leads to the summit, you can drive until the nearest jump off point at the foot of the Mantalongon ranges.
First Option (the one we took)
- From Cebu City, take a multicab that is bound to Park Mall. (10-15 minutes)
- From Park Mall, you have to board another multicab bound to Southbus Station. (20-25 minutes)
- Take the bus bound to Oslob or Bato via Dalaguete and tell the driver to drop you off at the junction. (2.5 - 3 hours)
- From the junction, take habal-habal (motorcycles for hire) until Mantalungan Market. (20 minutes)
- You can start your way up to Osmena Peak from the Market. It is roughly a 2 hour climb.
- Go to Cebu City's Carbon market.
- Take the minibus bound to Mantalongon near the Caltex gasoline station.
- You can then start trekking up to Osmena Peak from Mantalongon.
Multicab to Park Mall
Multicab from Park Mall to South Bus Station
Ordinary Ceres Bus to Dalaguete
Php101 (take aircon bus for convenience)
Habal-Habal to Mantalongan Market
Php50 per person
Php300 (optional/no fixed price)
= Please do the Math :)
Sample Itinerary (for Overnight Camp) via Dalaguete
1000 ETD South Bus Station
1230 ETA Dalaguete (take lunch)
1300 ETD Mantalongan Market
1320 ETA Mantalongan Market (buy provisions)
1400 Start trek from Market to foot of Osmeña Peak
1600 ETA Campsite (set up camp)
1700 Dinner and socials
0500 Wake up. Prepare Breakfast.
0600 Breakfast / Break camp
0700 Start trek back to Mantalongan Market
0900 Habal-Habal to Dalaguete
0930 Wait bus bound to Cebu City
1200 ETA Cebu City
If you plan to traverse to Kawasan falls you may opt to follow this IT instead
0700 Start trek to Kawasan Falls
1200 ETA Kawasan Falls
1700 ETD Kawasan Falls to Matutinao bus stop
1730 Ride a bus bound to Cebu City
2000 ETA Cebu City
*We day-hiked Osmena Peak and went to Kawasan Falls via Habal-Habal after our climb. Easier that way. :P
- A water source is located along the trail on the way to the summit. Fetch enough to bring to the campsite or peak because no water source is located there. There are no water sources in the area so make sure that you fetch water whenever there’s a chance.
- It is best to get a guide if you are planning to traverse Osmena to Kawasan Falls as some of the locals are really not familiar with the trail that leads to the falls.
- I do not advise setting camp at the peak of Osmena as it is narrow and uneven. There are campsites established just a few meters down the summit.
- Use large rocks and ropes to secure your tent. The camping ground has loose rocks and pebbles and setting up tents can be challenging.
- Bring winter clothes or sweater to keep yourself warm. Temperature can suddenly drop especially when the wind starts to pick up.
- Bring sun protection because the way down Kawasan Falls can be extremely hot. Insect repellants are also recommended.
- If you do not want to tire yourself, you may request habal-habal to bring you until the foot of Osmena (30mins trek) for Php100 per person.
- Mantalongon, Dalaguete is also known as the "Vegetable Basket" or “Vegetable Kingdom” of Cebu due to the vast vegetable farms in the area.
- There is an option to traverse Osmena Peak down to Kawasan Falls in Brgy. Matutinao, Badian, Cebu.
- Mantalongon holds Utanon Festival (Vegetable Festival) every year. It is a celebration of dance and music as thanksgiving for the good harvest.
- Mantalongon is said to be the summer capital of Cebu.
The writer would like to thank Lisa Marin and her entire family for accommodating us during our stay in Mantalongan.
Osmena Peak Photos ← click to be routed to the photo album of Osmena Peak.
For more virtual and interactive live updates, you can check our FACEBOOK PAGE or follow us on TWITTER.