If you happen to find yourself in Kota Kinabalu, the State Capital of Sabah, and you have nowhere to go and you don’t know what to do; try visiting some of the places below. They are not extraordinarily beautiful; neither can they be satisfactory places, but each of them has something to share, which may also not be interesting, but well, there’s no harm in trying, right? After all, you have nowhere to go and nothing to do. So here you go…
- Kota Kinabalu Wetland – a 24-hectare patch of mangrove forest. This vast wetland is actually just a remaining portion of extensive mangrove forest that once existed along the coastal region of Kota Kinabalu. This place which is also being referred to as a bird sanctuary is dirty, smelly, and is a haven of an overwhelming numbers of mosquitoes (make sure to have repellent). Mind you though, in 1998, it was declared as State Cultural Heritage Site.
|Footbridge at KK Wetland|
- Signal Hill – If you want to have a glimpse of Kota Kinabalu in a bird’s eye view, this is the place to go. That’s all, thank you!
|Signal Hill as seen from below|
- Tanjung Aru – This is my most favorite on this list as it offers public park and striking sight of long sandy beach; a relatively clean place.
|Scenic View of Tanjung Aru Beach|
- Merlin – I dunno why they call this marlin fish statue a Merlin Statue but well, it’s just the way it is. This nice looking stone fish is located at the waterfront blending with the beautiful sight of Pulau Gaya (an island) in the background. It made a history through its inauguration in February 2, 2000; a time when Kota Kinabalu got the “city” status.
- Atkinson Clock Tower – this, they said, is the oldest standing structure in Kota Kinabalu, commissioned and completed in 1905. It was built in the memory of Francis George Atkinson, Jesselton’s (former name of Kota Kinabalu) first district officer.
|The Atkinson Clock Tower|
There you go. Those were the places I have been to during the time I was in Kota Kinabalu and I have nothing specific to go to neither I have something to busy myself with. Please add something more interesting, would you? Pretty, please? ;)
For more virtual and interactive live updates, be part of our FACEBOOK COMMUNITY PAGE or follow us on TWITTER.